Friday, November 25, 2005

Each Post is a Continuation of the Previous.
I would love to know that you came by and Paused a few minutes.
Feel free to let the subject matter develop before posting comments.
Please Let me know that you were "HERE AND READ"
by leaving me a "H.A.R." In the Comments.
We'll dive into the discussion once we're all heading the same direction.
With Passion and Purpose, - Keith

Life's Seasons and Our Power

What enables some people to go through tough times and come out on top? Or those who can stay focused during hectic times of life and not lose their way? How can you keep a level head, make great decisions, keep relationships strong so that when a hard season of life ends, you are don't find your self having to repair the key life areas? How do you maintain a proper course for life in the middle of bad times and good times? Each situation tends to drive us different directions.

When difficult times come our way, we feel powerless to change the downward spiral. We're tempted to think, "What's the use of trying to do the right things? No matter what I do, I never seem to get ahead." During hard times, it seems like others around you have it easier than you. You seem to always get the short end of the stick. Conversely, when good times start rolling, we are lulled into thinking that we're wiser than we really are, as if all our good fortune is somehow a direct result of our personal greatness. We think, "I don't know why everyone's always bellyaching about everything. I think life's pretty darn good. They need to suck it up and try harder."


As a result, we're not as intentional or diligent in maintaining schedule, format, budget, etc. Why? Cause when times are good, we tend to let down our guard. We believe the lie that because times are good we must be doing things right, so we can relax. In our laxness, we sabotage the next season of life that comes our way.


Understanding life's seasons is important because what we do now, enhances or sabotages the next season of life. Whether it comes along next year, next quarter or next month and whether it lasts for a month, a year or five years, that next season will be a result of how well I have traversed the one I'm currently in and how wise my decision making is in my relationships, finances, emotions and spirituality. The sooner I become aware of this truth, the sooner I can come up with a plan to preserve the next season. I am living in a season that has been nurtured, grown, and ripened as a result of what I did the last season of my life. So therefore, what I do now prepares me for next season.

I will continue to talk in the next few posts about the intentionality behind preserving the next season. We all wish that the current season of life we are in, would be better than it is, or if it is good, we wish it would last longer. But there is nothing we can do right now about some aspects of this season. We are living the result of our preparation or lack there of.

Comments:
H.A.R.
 
Some seasons really, really suck. Sometimes you have the will to prepare for the next season, but you don't have the means. That's when it really gets tough.
 
"The season I am in right now is the result of what I did, good and bad, during the last season of my life. So therefore, what I do now prepares me for next season."

Hmm... I'm not sure I agree with that. It's almost a presumption that if anything goes wrong, it's probably your own fault. ("Why do bad things happen to good people?" ring a bell?)

The first thing that comes to mind is the "Serenity Prayer". Even if you are not a Christian, there are some words of wisdom there. Sometimes the proverbial "it" just hits the fan.
I think the biggest differentiation is HOW we choose to react to the situation:
-Is this something that necessitates immediate action? If so, have I carefully considered the outcome of this action and how it will affect myself and others? Is this acting in my own self interest or is it a selfless act for others?
-Should I not act at all? Does this situation call for a "wait and see" attitude, an opportunity for practicing the virtue of patience?

I can't remember who said this:
It's not what happens to you,
it's what you do about it.

I have to admit, I have been through some rough times lately but I have to remind myself that sometimes we're just dealt a difficult hand. The thing that keeps me going is there are those who have overcome extreme obstacles only to become better people on the other side. (I think that's why role models are so important.)

Keith, I think what you are doing is very interesting and thought-provoking. I look forward to reading future posts!

Best wishes!
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Musikmom: Thanks for coming by and leaving a great comment. This post does get hijacked by that statement and it needs to be taken out of that paragraph.
I agree, Crappy things happen to a lot of people for no fault of their own.

The purpose of this post was to set up future posts about depletion, boundaries and staying emotionally replenished.

Taking a ruthlesss inventory of where we are in these areas and acting on it will indeed set up our next season of life. Even if that season is hard or smooth.

Based on your additional comments, you may be interested in the archives of my last blog "Hubby Speaks". It was dealing with "How to Have Great Reactions throughout life's situations".

Thanks again for your thoughts!
 
HAR on Friday, December 1.
 
I mean, Dec 2. Sorry.
 
HAR
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?